Attendance and Punctuality
The attendance leader is passionate about supporting pupils and their families to ensure regular attendance at school. There are a range of well-thought-out strategies to promote attendance, including rewards for regular attendance that are very popular among pupils.
At Christ Church CE Primary School, we believe that every child has a right to a good education. To achieve this we need to work with you and your child by, first, ensuring that your child attends school. Without your child in school we cannot fulfil the requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage or National Curriculum. We expect every child to work hard towards gaining 97% attendance or better.
We are required, by law, to record the attendance of every child on roll and to show who is absent or late. Figures for attendance and for authorised absence and unauthorised absence have to be sent to Wirral Borough Council (Local Authority) and the Department for Education (UK Government).
#Every Day Counts
Wirral's children's services has launched the #EveryDayCounts campaign with the backing of partners & schools to encourage regular attendance:
Attendance & Punctuality Rewards
All children are encouraged to attend school regularly and punctually, unless they are ill. Attendance updates are part of our weekly Celebration Worship and attendance is rewarded in the following ways:
- Weekly Class Competition - the class with the winning attendance is celebrated during Celebration Worship, with the winning children receiving extra play time as a reward.
- '£5 for 5' Award - is a weekly competition for individual children who have attended school on time every day for the week, wearing full school uniform.
- Half Termly Attendance Certificates - these are awarded to children with excellent attendance or those that have improved their attendance.
- Termly Attendance Certificates - these are awarded to children with 100% attendance - children win a bronze prize in Autumn, Silver in Spring and Gold in Summer if they have 100% attendance.
- End of Year Awards - children with 100% attendance and most improved attendance at the end of an academic year are recognised and celebrated with awards, prizes and certificates.
Please let us know if your child has a hospital/dental appointment during the school day by showing the appointment card to reception or by making the class teacher aware.
If your child is too ill to come to school either telephone school, email the school office or contact us through SIMs InTouch by 09:30a.m. on the day. Please state you child's name and the reason for the absence.
Please do not send sick children to school, particularly in cases of sickness or diarrhoea, when a child may not return to school for at least 48 hours.
If a child becomes ill during the school day, we will telephone parents and ask that they take their child home.
Parent Contact Details
It is important that we have the correct home and emergency numbers for every child. Please ensure these are updated whenever necessary.
If your child will not be able to attend school, for a reason other than illness, a leave of absence form needs to be completed. Leave of absence will only be granted where there are exceptional circumstances. Please click here to access a leave of absence during term time form.
Each application for leave will be considered on a case by case basis. You may be asked to come into school for a meeting with the Headteacher to discuss your application further or asked to provide supporting evidence.
We understand that holidays are generally less expensive during term time but this does NOT count as an 'exceptional circumstance'.
Please be aware that holidays which are unauthorised should not be taken. If they are taken, parents are in breach of their legal duty to ensure that their child attends school full time and may be subject to a Fixed Penalty Notice or prosecution through the court.
Christ Church Primary School believes that good attendance is very closely linked to good attainment, good behaviour and happy, settled children. For further information about our attendance policy, please click here.