Teachers: Mrs E Ives (5I)
Mrs E Wiggins
Teaching Assistant: Miss B Killen
Year Five Expectation Booklet for parents
Monday – Maths homework and spellings are given out every Monday. Spellings are written out in homework books and uploaded onto Spelling Shed.
Tuesday – Reading records must be in school every Tuesday with five dated entries completed in which you discuss the language and events of the book. In UKS2 this is your child’s responsibility and we ask them to complete the entries themselves. If the five entries are not completed, they will stay in reading club, which is held Tuesday break time.
Wednesday – This half-term, PE will take place every Wednesday morning from 9:00am-10:00am. It is important that your child has the appropriate PE kit in school every day.
Friday – Spelling tests take place every Friday and Maths homework is also marked. If Maths homework or spellings have not been completed/learned, your child will go to homework club, where they will be provided with the opportunity to complete their homework in school at lunch time while receiving support from an adult. Similarly, to reading records, in upper key stage 2, homework is the responsibility of your child.
· We ask that once spellings are given out on a Monday that they are practised every night. This can be through using Look, Say, Cover, Write, Check; Spelling Shed; putting each word into a sentence; or searching for definitions.
· All children have their username and password for Spelling Shed. The app allows them to practise their spellings in a variety of way through increasingly difficult levels.
· Certificates are given out every Friday for various achievements on Spelling Shed including most accurate and most improved.
· It is important that the children use Spelling Shed regularly as it will help to prepare them for SATs next year.
Times Tables Rock stars:
· This is part of the children’s weekly homework.
· Children have their username and password for Times Tables Rock Stars.
· Certificates are given out every Friday for various achievements on Times Tables Rock Stars including most accurate and most improved.
· The app helps improve the children’s confidence, accuracy and fluency to prepare them for SATs next year.
· Letters are given out at the end of the day. Please ask your child at the end of each day to share these with you.
· All children need to bring a water bottle to school with them each day marked with their name and filled with water in case they need a drink during the day.
· Please ensure that they have suitable clothing for weather conditions e.g. coats, hats, scarves and gloves during colder months and hats and sun cream during the summer. Please note: staff are not allowed to put sun cream on pupils.
· Important dates such as school trips or assemblies are put into the school newsletter which is sent home with the children.
· Every Tuesday and Thursday, children are provided with the opportunity to purchase toast for 20p provided they are in school at 9:00am.
· As the children edge closer to Year 6, they are entrusted with more responsibilities including prefect and milk monitor.